Wednesday, October 27, 2010

a performance by Grammy Award-winning artist and ELLE icon Estelle

 ELLE magazine celebrated its 25th anniversary in New York on Tuesday night, Oct. 26, with the launch of a new book, The ELLEments of Personal Style, featuring advice and wardrobe suggestions from 25 of their favorite style icons, and a performance by Grammy Award-winning artist and ELLE icon Estelle.

Featured icons in the book, like Diane von Furstenberg and Padma Lakshmi, offered up their style advice and secrets on the red carpet.

I woke up at 6, she said.I nursed. I ran up and down 70 flights of stairs. Then I had breakfast. Then I went to the gym and lifted weights for an hour, and then I walked home.

Lakshmi also mentioned women who, not featured in the book, were her own personal style heroes.

I think Daphne Guinness is a definite style icon, she said. Issy Blow, who was a friend of mine, was a definitely somebody who I loved. Grace Coddington, to me, is somebody who is more influential in fashion that we realize.

Designer Nicole Miller said she loves Penelope Cruz, and would follow Cruz's style advice without thinking.

Of all those actresses, she really gets it right, she said.

Christian Siriano, the young designer who has been dressing top stars left and right as of late, including Estelle and Mad Men's Christina Hendricks, has his own favorites when it comes to personal inspiration.

You know, if it helps you get to where you need to go, great, but if it makes you feel like them, not so great, she said. I think we have a fingerprint for a reason, and we're meant to express our own original style and authenticity. I think we can look across to people, to be inspired by them, but we should never look up, because we'll be disappointed. Myself included.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment